"But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear."
2 Timothy 4:17

Thursday, August 29, 2013

ALOHA

     Is summer really over? It's hard to believe that I am back in Atlanta, working and preparing for my last year of undergraduate school to begin. My time in Oklahoma will forever have a place in my memory and the people I met there, a place in my heart. I apologize for going so long without posting. My last few weeks serving were very challenging and I am still processing all that I learned at DaySpring Villa. I heard from a few people that I might experience culture shock when I came home and even though it is hard to explain or comprehend, it was certainly a struggle. Living, working, eating, and breathing all in one place for 2 1/2 months and then being dropped back into reality had a stronger effect on me than I imagined. Thankfully, I am almost fully adjusted back and I starting back to work and school has helped me adjust even more.
   
     So you must be wondering what happened my last couple of weeks in Oklahoma? A great deal! I was on overnight shift, for one thing. That was interesting. Haha. It was super chill for the most part. However, one evening I had to break up a fight between two of the guests. Thankfully, two other summer girls were still in the office with me when it went down and the three of us were able to separate them and get everyone to bed. A few nights later I was readjusting to sleeping at night and we had a tornado warning followed by the fire alarm going off the next evening.

     I became really attached to a few of the guests and leaving them was extremely hard. Now that we no longer work there we cannot stay in contact with them and if we call to ask staff all they can reply is that they cannot "confirm or deny" that they have a guest by that name. In other words, it is extremely hard to find out what happens to these women. And that is deeply difficult for me because I ran alongside these women for two months, struggled the ups and downs of their lives with them and I want to know what becomes of them, I want to hear about their successes. This is the part where prayer and faith in the Lord truly comes into play. If I didn't lean on Him this summer, I definitely have to lean on him now.

     The women I met at DaySpring are some of the strongest, hard working, courageous, faithful women I have ever come in contact with. They have made such a powerful impact on my life and I cannot thank them enough for it. I will forever tell my story of DaySpring Villa and the impact that it has had on me. I praise God for giving me such a unique opportunity this summer!

ALOHA (A Life Of Hope Ahead) Bracelets 
All of the Summer Girls at the airport on our last day


     You may be wondering what happens next? That is a great question, thank you for asking. To be quite honest... I have no idea! I am finishing up my time at Georgia State University this spring with a BA in Psychology. I know that God has given me a heart for children and I truly believe I will end up with the Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS), but my tie up is grad school. I am still in the process of praying about going straight into it or waiting a year or two. Other than that I am still working and leading at the BCM, having a great time at my new second job with the Computer Information Systems Department of GSU, going to class, and trying to have some down time with friends and family.

     It's hard to believe that I am finally a senior and I am proud to call myself a GSU Panther. God has blessed me in so many ways these past four years and I am excited to see what He has in store for the years ahead.

Until Next Time,
Lindsay

"The Lord is righteous in all his ways and faithful in all he does." 
Psalm 145:17


Becca, Gracie, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment